Questions?

Home Forums SHSAT Forum Questions?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  uwsboymom 7 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

admin
    Keymaster

Got any SHSAT questions? We can discuss them here, I’ll do my best to answer!

• #300 Reply

Nyc Kidesjohnsnow

i am having troble wit this problm. x+2=6 find x
    how do i do this . man this is too hard

• #308 Reply

admin
      Keymaster

With equations the idea is that you do the same thing to both sides. In this case we subtract 2 from both sides.

x + 2 = 6
      – 2 -2
      x = 4

This is the beginning of algebra, a very important topic. If you want to learn more check out Khanacademy.com or regentsprep.org

• #303 Reply

Rose

The answer is 4

• #304 Reply

Hivansh

What raw score do I need for Stuyvesant an estimate. Also which practice test is closest to real shsat

• #306 Reply

admin
      Keymaster

Low to mid 80s raw score would probably give you a pretty good shot at Stuy.
      The best practice tests are probably from the board of education shsat handbooks. There are links to them on this site or you can go to the ny board of education’s site. Other than that the Barron’s shsat book has pretty good tests.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by  admin.
      • #309 Reply

Hivansh

Are you sure? I’ve heard lots of tutors say u need at least like a 92, when u said about a 80 to 85, I kind of felt relieved as I get 87 to 94s. However, how do You know for sure? I really want to get in that’s why.

• #311 Reply

admin
          Keymaster

It’s hard to say for sure as the results are different every year and they tweak the formula. I’m basing my answer mostly on this article: http://testprepshsat.com/shsat-strategy/ and this chart from the article: http://testprepshsat.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Raw_Scale-Scores2.png . It does use some pretty old data, so the raw cutoff may be slightly higher now, but 92 sounds high. At least in the past, it was true that you also get a boost if you get close to perfect on one section. In my experience, in your score range, assuming we’re talking about good practice tests like the official ones, you’ve got a pretty good shot. It all boils down to one test day though, which is unpredictable, so keep studying the tricky stuff!

• #313 Reply

Hivansh

Ok thank you!

• #324 Reply

Hivansh

Hello I am going to Kaplan for tutoring every Saturday what is the expected amount to get on a practice test to get into stuy as I have a diagnostic coming up.

• #325 Reply

hivansh

this is for kaplan not the government test

• #326 Reply

Arwin Kumar

the test is soclose , do you have any tips to study and get better in the short ammount og time?

• #327 Reply

Hivansh

Same question the last 10 math questions always seem harder for me. That’s where I lose a lot of points

• #328 Reply

Arwin Kumar

Khans Tutorial has the best shsat classes.I would recommend it to anyone who wants to go to stuy/bx science.

• #329 Reply

Arwin Kumar

i took the shsat today and i was kinda hard

• #334 Reply

uwsboymom

Hello and thank you.
    My son, like you had wrote previously, does well on practice handbook tests but they do repeat and he sees the exact same questions. You say that your students sometimes do much worse than their practice test? What is some advice please (he is taking it in 9 days due to an issue that makes his test day Nov 5th. Just jitters? Wwe so wish to know is that is our fear. Thanking you.

Reply To: Questions?
Your information:

Cancel